Matt’s Weekly Shop Update – Nov 30, 2018

Matt’s Weekly Shop Update – Nov 30, 2018

This week I finished up the sideboard just in time for Thanksgiving and while my Dad was in town we spent some time out back slabbing up a big red oak log.

Who I’m Wearing:
https://www.instagram.com/littlerivermilling/

The Sideboard Project: https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/shaker-sideboard/

The Hanging Tool Cabinet Project
https://thewoodwhispererguild.com/product/ultimate-wall-hanging-tool-cabinet/

 

Viewer Projects

Bar Stool by David

Made from Texas pecan wood with Dark Walnut stain and Polycrylic water base clear coat, semi gloss.  Top is secure with a Mortise and Tenon and legs with a No-Shoulder Mortise and tenon.  I made the legs with a 5 degree angle on them.  The top was cut by using a Router and a curved jig for the router to “ride” in and multiple passes across to get the curvature.  Used a hand plane to chamfer the top edges.   Had a small crack, so I repaired it with a piece of Purple Heart Bow tie I had laying around.

Slab Top Table by Andrew

It is a Macrocarpa live edge slab which was cut down to size, sanded, sealed and the encased in liquid polymer glass. ( resin) .
It sits on a mild steel base which I mitered the corners then nog wedges the inside fillet welds and the sides. I then tigged the outside corner. It is then painted with a hammered fish paint.
The whole build took 30 hours as a school project. I am 17 years old so happy with the result

River Table by Paul

I am building a river table from a poplar log that fell down in my Dad\’s yard.  The roots had mostly rotted away, and the tree fell down in some wind they had.  I got the bottom 5-6 feet of the tree, so I got quite a bit of the rotted portion.  I got a fair amount of wood from this little stump, including two 2″ slabs that I am planning to make into a 4\’x2\’ river coffee table, complete with rocks and river sand.

 

Workbench by Paul

this is a workbench I made out 17 2x4s bought at the home center. I didn’t want to use hardwoods because it would cost way too much just. The top measures just under 6 feet long and 28in wide. To join the top to the base I used a wedged through mortise and tenon joint. To hold pieces of wood I added a big vice and dog holes along two side. My last one was full of glue and epoxy stains, hopefully this one will not end up like the last one, but can’t make any promises.

No Comments

Post A Comment