Matt’s Weekly Shop Update

After being gone for a week and another week back with a bit of a slow start, I'm back at it.  Highlights this week are making progress on the sideboard by adding the vertical dividers and cutting the panels.  I also cut the white oak log that I showed in my last update.  
Trucking along on the sideboard this week. I finished up the internals - the bottom frame and the drawer runners, kickers, and guides. I also picked up another log for the sawmill. I'll be away for a week: heading to Texas for a couple days to visit April and then over to Atlanta for IWF.

I spent a great few days outdoors cutting up some logs on my sawmill. I made it through the two silver maple logs that I've had for about 8 months. They had some amazing color and spalting and the bigger one also included some embedded metals which made things fun. Back in the shop, I added the horizontal dividers to the sideboard. The top divider is dovetailed into the legs and the lower one connects to the legs with a double mortise and tenon.
I'm back from a quick trip to Toronto and while I was there, I shot a couple videos with Paul. Back in the shop, I added the rails to the sideboard to start framing out the case and outside I moved a big silver maple log up onto the sawmill.
This week I finished getting the mill reassembled to the point it was at last year before I disassembled it and was able to make a test cut. In the shop, I worked on the sideboard by finalizing the leg stock and cutting the grooves and mortises.
This week I finished up the linkage for the sawhead lift. I installed the new idle sprockets and mounts onto the mill and reinstalled the roller chain. In the shop, I finalized the part layout for the sideboard and began breaking down the lumber. I also finally organized my hardware thanks to my sons dumping it all onto the floor. More shop organization progress!
Starting on the next woodworking project: a sideboard made from walnut that I cut with my chainsaw mill a few years ago. Between the rain I've been working on the components that will complete the lift linking mechanism on the sawmill. I've also been experimenting with casting with slow setting epoxy.