The biggest thing this week is the start of the bandsaw mill. I also spent some time in the shop getting the base of the farmhouse table ready to be assembled, cleaning out the shop, and working on an apple press.
Decorative Wheelbarrow by Marius
The first is a decorative wheelbarrow made from scrap , main body is made of fir and wheel is made of beech and two diamonds are from linden wood,and the second project is a wine bottle holder made from fir slats 50 years old recovered from a roof of a neighbor.
G&G TV Stand by Jason
I just finished this greene and greene tv stand. I handplaned almost everything on this piece which was a great learning experience. The case panels are 15″ and the top is closer to 19″(to wide for my dewalt lunchbox). The joinery was all hand cut with the exemption of the mortise and tenons for the doors. The door pulls were made with a cove bit at the router then shaped with a block plane. The underside chamfer for the top was done with a no 6 plane. I first saw this design on ljs the gentleman had pulled inspiration from Marc’s gadget station. I have been woodworking for 2 years and feel that I have reached a new benchmark with this piece.
I’m a 16 year old woodworker and my parents have let me set up my tiny woodshop on 1/2 of the garage. The table is made from cedar that I got from a neighbor and milled up into boards. The cedar is bookmatched and there is poplar between them. One of the boards has a live edge. This was my second furniture project.
I’ve recently been getting into woodworking and have nearly finished my first “real” project, a set of frame and panel doors. They were made to fit an existing store-bought piece of furniture, which is an armoire style computer desk.
I used some cherry that was cut down from my in-laws back yard and milled on-site by a small Woodmizer sawmill. The rough boards had been drying outdoors in their yard for about 8 years before I started. I used only an old Craftsman 9″ tablesaw and hand planes to take the stock from rough-sawn to finished dimensions and surface. No sandpaper! I learned a lot about reading the grain and managing tear out, especially since this wood has lots of curly and reversing grain.
I used loose tenon joinery, and built a version of Bill Hylton’s router jig to cut the mortises. The tenons are cut from 1/4″ poplar stock from the home center.
I cut the groove for the panel with a 1/4″ carbide slot cutting bit on my cheap router table and bought 1/4″ cherry plywood for the panels. I tried to cut the panels so the veneer seams would be centered, and appear as book matched panels.
One of my doors warped a bit, I think due to some stress in the wood because the pieces were totally dry. I only worked on this project for a couple hours a week over the past few months, so the parts had lots of time to acclimate after each operation.
At any rate, my computer desk is now baby proof! I’m still working out what to use for a finish. We aren’t sure if we will try to match the stain color of the existing piece or leave the doors natural.