Trucking along on the sideboard this week. I finished up the internals – the bottom frame and the drawer runners, kickers, and guides. I also picked up another log for the sawmill. I’ll be away for a week: heading to Texas for a couple days to visit April and then over to Atlanta for IWF.
I built this dining room server for my wife. It is constructed with cherry which I milled myself. The carcass is assembled with dovetail joinery, as are the drawers. The fold out top is fastened with concealed hinges. It is finished with cherry stain and wipe on poly.
Attached are a few photos of my first original furniture piece. It’s all walnut with the exception of the ebony plugs and feet. I designed it in CAD and cut most of the parts on my CNC router. LOTS of hand sanding and final shaping. The finish is Maloof’s two-step process that I’m sure you’re familiar with.
I struggled with the spindles for longer than expected, mainly due to getting them filled and painted. I finally settled on ‘good enough’ so I could wrap up the project. I mis-calculated the overall length of the rails and legs with regards to the mattress size, but we padded one end so our daughter can’t get anything stuck in between the mattress and side rail. It’s definitely not perfect, but I’m very happy with how it came out and we think it looks fantastic. Our now ten month old is pretty petite, so she will get some good use out of it for quite some time.