I got the new handtool cabinet up onto the wall and got going on making holders for all of my tools. At this point I’ve taken care of most of them especially the more “complicated” ones. Things are starting to come together! I also pulled some stock for the guitar that I’ll be building in a few weeks at Crimson Guitars.
The Wall-Hanging Tool Cabinet Project
T shirts, sweatshirts, hats, and plans: https://www.mattcremona.com/shop
Crimson Guitars: https://www.youtube.com/user/CrimsonCustomGuitars
A sugar maple coffee table for my sister’s x-mas present. It features stained wedges in legs,
Earlier this year my wife and I remodeled our dining room. I made a built in china cabinet with a herringbone walnut top. Also did a coffered ceiling and wainscoting. The final part of the project was this 12’ solid walnut dining table. It was all made from 8/4 stock. The main stretcher was done with a traditional mortise and tenon then used the drawbored method using birch dowels. The same was done with the breadboard ends. It comfortable seats 14 people and I can’t wait to use it in a couple of days on Xmas. It was finished with a precat laquer using a Fuji Q5 hvlp. Next project is building 14 sculpted Maloof style highback dining chairs.
The buffet is made from walnut and bubinga, with walnut plywood used for case panels, and maple used for drawer boxes. It uses a variety of joinery, including mortise-and-tenon, rabbets, groove-and-panel, hand-cut dovetails, and even a few pocket hole screws. it borrows style elements from a dining table and liquor cabinet I built for the same room. I used some of the techniques you describe in the recent guilt build to help me execute my design.
More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/vH9Rsvk
I have just completed my version of your Tea Chest. I call mine a Tea Ark. I built it for my adult daughter for Christmas. I made a few changes from your design and many mistakes. But I am happy with the final result. The mitered dovetail corners were new to me and a challenge.
My daughter loves tea but only buys loose tea so I found the small metal containers to hold it. I did make the chest to hold 18 containers as you did. The dimensions are 11x11x11 inches. I did use one piece of walnut and attempted to use it in the way you describe with the grain flowing all the way around the chest. I ran into trouble with the drawer fronts in that I did not allow for the saw kerfs and they were too narrow to use. I had to pick a piece of extra walnut that would yield both drawer fronts.
The top, all the drawer bottoms, the dividers between drawers, and the bottom are all veneered MDF. The top is crotch walnut, the drawer bottoms are maple on the inside and walnut on the bottom. The bottom is walnut on the inside and sueded leather on the underside to give a soft landing on other furniture. All MDF is 1/4″ except the bottom which is 1/2″ and beveled slightly to allow the chest to float. All the horizontal elements including drawer bottoms are held in place with 1/16″ 3 ply modelers plywood splines. Since the drawers carry no real load I expect these to be adequate. The hardware is Brusso. The finish is Maloof poly-oil and Maloof oil-wax, final coat is wax.
The dividers in the top section are lapped and fitted as yours, but the top drawer was not wide enough to allow vertical dividers for the tins. The bottom drawer is large enough to hold two cups and saucers, teaspoons, a tea strainer, and a scoop for loose tea.
I am grateful for your design and your inspiration for me to attempt this project. I haven’t made anything in my shop for several years and this has inspired me to get back to making furniture. I looked extensively online for other designs and nothing comes close to yours!