26 Aug Matt’s Weekly Shop Update – August 25, 2017
I’ve been busily tearing the bandsaw mill apart so I can finish up some minor things that I never felt like doing when I built it in the winter and to paint the remaining unpainted parts. In the shop, I finished the internals of the lower highboy case.
The Highboy Project
I will be at the Minnetonka Rocker Store on Sept 2 from 9-11
12995 Ridgedale Dr
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Desk by Paul
Sliding Bookends by Michael
Scrap Wood Mosaic Wall Art by Russell
Materials: Poplar strips adhered to a ¼” plywood substrate.
Overall dimensions: 20″x48″
Construction: Mosaic pieces cut to size on miter saw, then fine tuned to fit together with a LOT of block plane whittling. Mosaic pieces glued to plywood base with loctite CA glue (and hot glue when I ran out of loctite, haha). Frame rabbeted to overlap mosaic by ¼”, then screwed on from the back. Hangs by routed keyholes along the top portion of the frame.
Finish: Colors are acrylic paint – to get a washed-out effect, each piece of the mosaic was hand-painted with a wet-on-wet technique to make sure the grain remained visible. My wife helped out with the colors. Each piece was painted to try to create a visual texture similar to the piece’s subject – sweeping outward lines for the needles of the evergreen, vertical streaks of alternating greens and browns for grass, and so on. After the pieces were secured, a few coats of shellac were sprayed on for good measure.
Reflection: this was going to just be a very simple project to kill the dead time while waiting on a new tool to be delivered so I could finish my “serious” project, but ended up taking a couple of days. It’s not super fancy, but it is a good use of what I had just lying around the shop. I’m definitely going to do some more of these on a smaller scale to sell at craft shows.
If anyone wants to see more of my work, they can find me here:
Sofa Table by Nathan
This table is for my mom’s 60th birthday. She’s never had a piece of new or nice furniture in her life, but has been very interested in the things I’ve made since I started woodworking last month….just kidding, 1.5 years.
I had a few quartersawn walnut boards with nice figure and color so I tried to build the theme around that. The top and bottom are both book matches. For the drawer front I wanted something not quartersawn, but still interesting visually, so I found a nice piece with the figure going diagonally which I think leads the eyes from top to bottom. For the inlay I choose butternut because it’s my favorite compliment woods with walnut. It also has a nice shimmer. Drawer is also butternut, which has to be the best dovetailing wood in the entire world-no mallet required.